Impressum © Thilde van Norel 2014 - Violin Maker Berlin
How to survive the cold winter
Wood is hygroscopic
10 dos and don´ts to keep your instrument safe
1. Get a hygrometer (and make sure its a proper one, many
cheap hygrometers are not much of a use).
2. Keep the humidity between 40 and 60 percent.
3. Don´t leave your instrument next to the heating.
4. Don´t hang your instrument on a cold wall in a warm room.
5. Have a few potted plants in the room where you keep your instrument to
keep the humidity up.
6. Keep your instrument in the case as much as possible.
7. Use a case humidifier if necessary (the sponges are safer to use then the
8. Have a room humidifier.
9. When you go to a rehearsal and it´s cold outside, allow your instrument to
warm up to room temperature inside the case before you take it out.
10. If this all doesn´t work for you: move to a warmer country or play the trumpet